Tuesday, November 9, 2010

tuition

Everybody says education is the key to making it in this world. But what happens when you can't afford education? Most of us apply for financial aid. If you ask me it's more trouble then it's worth. The amount that they give you still leaves you trying to how you will pay for school. The only thing financial aid covers fully is a community college. But what about us people that want to go to a four year college? Are we stuck taking up a major that we don't want to at a school that we don't really want to be at? Most of the time yes unless you decide to quit. Any bit of higher education is great to have, but now with the economy so messed up everybody is looking for degrees. Tuition isn't getting any lower but federal grants are. Why is this when they claim to be funding more money for education? Plus depending on what you make the less you'll get. Crazy part is for twelve years I went to school for free. No tuition necessary, but when I need to further my education I have to pay thousands in tuition fees. I recently found out that don't go by the amount you bring home they go by the amount you make before deductions.Why? The world may never know. If a person is already struggling they second guess going back to school because they can't afford it. Do you believe if tuition fees were lower more people would go? Yes I honestly do. As a person who has struggled with tuition in the past and will more than likely have to do it again come spring 2011 I believe so. Can't you just take out school loans? Yes and I did but what most people fail to realize is it's a LOAN! You have to pay all of that back with interest and sometimes it be over $25,000. You'll be paying off school loans most of your life. Nobody likes to be in debt of that much money. Which gives them another reason to give up on higher education. I've witnessed taking out two school loans and it still not be enough.It's hard to try to gather up tuition money especially when you have no support. Yes many people have done it. You know went through the struggle and came out on top. But do me a huge favor. Sit down and talk to them, really talk to them. They'll let you know how hard it was and and all the things that they had to endure just to graduate and keep their head above water. Listen to their story you'll see how much they've lost during their journey of gaining education and how many times they had to drop classes in order to work to afford to stay in the race. I'm not saying don't try it but just know what you'll be going through before hand so it wont become too overwhelming too fast. It's sad that tuition is only getting higher every couple of years and the more they see you make before deductions mean the less help you'll get from the government. Even through all of this I still encourage people to at least try college. You never know it just may turn out different for you. I'm just telling you from my point of view. I also believe sometimes the struggle is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean I opened a savings acct for my oldest son hoping & praying that it helps him in the years to come so that he can choose the school he want to go to rather than apply to shool just becuz the money isn't right but like you said at this point in time its hard out here & even harder to prepare for his future when the present is kicking your ass. Education is a must to succed in this world but the fact that they charge you for it is the way of the world so what can we do?

    ReplyDelete